Indoor dome cameras

Bute Park murderers filmed before and after murder

Shocking footage has emerged showing the events leading up to and following the murder of Dr Gary Jenkins in a Cardiff park.

Dr Jenkins, 54, was the victim of a callous and homophobic attack in Bute Park on July 20 last year at the hands of Jason Edwards, 25, Lee Strickland, 36, and Dionne Timms-Williams, 17 year.

Despite pleading with his attackers to stop beating, punching and kicking him, Dr Jenkins was assaulted until he was unconscious and left covered in blood and partially exposed. He died two weeks later, on August 5, in hospital after suffering a catalog of injuries, including a blunt head injury.

Read more: Go here to read all the latest stories from the Courts of Wales

Edwards, Strickland and Timms-Williams were found guilty of the murder of Dr Jenkins at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court on Thursday.

During the trial, the jury viewed a set of CCTV footage showing Dr Jenkins and the defendants before and after the attack. Audio of the attack captured on CCTV from the Summerhouse Cafe was also played in court in which Dr Jenkins can be heard pleading for help and his attackers hurling homophobic slurs at him. This footage has not been released by South Wales Police.

The images released and available for viewing at the top of this article are described below.

In the first footage, Dr Gary Jenkins can be seen enjoying a meal at the Calabrisella restaurant in Cowbridge Road East at 4.55pm on July 19, where he uses a Santander bank card to pay. He is next seen on CCTV at Sophia Close near Bute Park at 8.57pm.

The following footage shows Timms-Williams meeting Edwards and Strickland on benches on Queen Street at 11:15 p.m. and Strickland is seen giving him an awkward hug.

Events are then moved to 1:20 a.m. on July 20, minutes after the murder, when Strickland is seen buying a bottle of whiskey from the Esso garage in Cathedral Road. He can be seen using two bank cards belonging to Dr. Jenkins.

Lee Strickland using Gary Jenkins’ bank card at the Esso garage in Cathedral Road, Cardiff

At 01:29, Edwards and Timms-Williams left Bute Park to the east and exited onto North Road. They kiss before parting ways after Timms-Williams passes Edwards a phone belonging to Dr. Jenkins. At 1:45 a.m., Edwards returns to the benches in Queen Street where he participates in a celebratory hug with Strickland and is seen with a wide smile on his face.

The pair are then seen riding around Cardiff city center on a bicycle, with Edwards pedaling, until they were spotted by police just outside Bute Park at 2.10am. Edwards flees but Strickland is caught by the police and arrested. At 2:15 a.m. he is searched and the police discover the red Santander card belonging to Dr Jenkins, but they do not know the identity of the victim of the attack at this stage.

Check crime reports in your area:

The following footage shows Timms-Williams being questioned by police in the Cardiff Bay custody room on July 27. She is asked if she got rid of the clothes she wore the night of Dr. Jenkins’ murder, but she replies “no comment” at all. questions.

The latest footage shows Edwards being questioned in Bridgend’s custody room on July 21. He is lying down with his head on the desk and the interrogating officer asks him if he has a cell phone. He replies “No”.

To get the latest news from WalesOnline straight to your inbox, including our regular Crime and Punishment updates, click here .

The Murder of Dr. Gary Jenkins

Source link