Indoor dome cameras

Gunmen filmed fighting in the street in mid-afternoon

Shocking violence erupted on a street in Swansea in mid-afternoon as a gang of men went on a rampage and fought with weapons including a hammer.

At one point, one of the participants went to a nearby chip shop to grab some knives to use in the fight.

Although the incident was caught on CCTV and on the mobile phone of a passing motorist, only one of those involved in the mass unrest has been identified by police. He had only been out of prison for a few weeks at the time, having been released in the middle of an eight-year sentence for a series of armed robberies.

Read more: Go here to see all the latest court coverage from Wales

Swansea Crown Court heard the breach took place on December 3, 2020 and began with a disturbance at the CK/Nisa store in the Cwmbwrla area of ​​Swansea.

Hannah George, prosecuting, said around 1 p.m. an intoxicated Alun Northcott entered the store and was “rude and aggressive”. He sat down on one of the freezers and when asked to come down he started calling the staff with derogatory names. Shoppers at the store supported the store employees and the 29-year-old began challenging them to a fight.

Northcott was eventually escorted off the premises, but he hung around outside and when one of the shoppers who had challenged him came out of the store, the accused followed him to his car.

The court heard an altercation which later developed in which Northcott kicked the exterior mirrors of the victim’s vehicle before jumping onto the hood, roof and windshield and smashing the screen -breeze with his knees. Northcott then picked up a piece of wood and punched the car owner in the chest before driving off.

The court heard that the defendant was involved in another incident later that afternoon about half a mile away on Llangyfelach Road.

Miss George said at 3pm an altercation had taken place involving a group of men – one of whom was armed with a hammer. During the incident, Northcott ran into the chip shop and nearby Hik’s restaurant and grabbed cutlery knives to use in the fight and the participants were “sneaking in and out of traffic” as they stalked. clashed. At one point, one of the men threw the gavel at the accused and he picked it up and returned it in kind.

Northcott was one of many men involved in an armed confrontation at Llangyfelach Road in Swansea

Only one person involved in the fight has been identified by police
Only one person involved in the fight has been identified by police

The fight ended when Northcott went to the ground and was repeatedly punched by members of the gang, one of whom arrived at the scene on a motorbike, before the gang dispersed.

Police quickly arrived on the scene and found a “drunk and agitated” Northcott who was taken to hospital for a check-up. The prosecutor said during his subsequent arrest and warned that he responded, “Tell the judge to stick his wig up to his f***** ga***.” In his subsequent interview, the accused admitted that he had been violent in the store, but said that his behavior was justified and said that after leaving the store, he had taken heroin and then had was attacked by a man on a motorbike.

Miss George said it was “notable” that none of the other men involved in the incident had been identified by police.

Check what crimes have been reported in your area:

Alun Roy Northcott, formerly of Ethel Court, Canton, Cardiff but now of no fixed abode, admitted criminal damages worth over £5,000, assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH) to the buyer and possession of a bladed item. He has 27 previous convictions for 45 offenses including eight for violent offenses and four for possession of knives or firearms. In 2011 he was sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders facility for grievous bodily harm and in 2016 was sentenced to eight years in prison for three robberies and possession of a sharp item. He had been released from prison on license for the case when he committed an offense in Swansea and, following his arrest, was recalled to prison to serve the remainder of the robbery sentence. This prison term expires in February 2024.

Alun Northcott
Alun Northcott

Hilary Roberts, for Northcott, said her client had been out of jail for around three weeks at the time of the incident and ended up in Swansea after problems with the Cardiff hostel which probation wanted him to stay in .

He said the accused was having trouble seeing his 13-year-old daughter and that on the day in question had consumed far too much alcohol. The solicitor said that following the shop incident ‘there was a chase by a number of people’ which led to the scenes seen in Llangyfelach Road, adding that the other people involved ‘were not not exactly wallflowers” and “it would have been easy for the police to identify them, but they didn’t”.

Judge Geraint Walters said the CCTV footage shown in court was another illustration that there were people in the community who “lived a life of lawlessness” with no respect for others or the law. He said the scenes in Llangyfelach Road resembled “people driving through a safari park with wild animals racing past them” – although he added the animals were probably better behaved.

With one-fourth discounts for his guilty pleas, Northcott was sentenced to a total of two years in prison comprising three months for the criminal damage to the car, nine months for the ABH on the store customer and 12 months for possession of the knives all to operate simultaneously.

The prosecution presented no evidence of a fight charge which the defendant also faced and the judge entered a formal verdict of not guilty in this regard.

To get the latest news from WalesOnline straight to your inbox, click here .

Source link